Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Duke Kahanamoku

Participating in the Duke's Ocean Festival made me want to share a little about Duke Kahanamoku with you guys. Here is Duke's creed:

"In Hawai'i we greet friends, loved ones and strangers
with Aloha, which means with love.
Aloha is the key word to the universal spirit of real
hospitality, which makes Hawai'i renowned as the
world's center of understanding and fellowship.

Try meeting or leaving people with Aloha.
You'll be suprised by their reaction.
I believe it and it is my creed."

Aloha to you.


Duke Paoa Kahanamoku




Duke Kahanamoku was the original ambassador of ALOHA. He was the first person to show surfing to the world. He brought surfing around the world to places like Australia and showed them the ALOHA spirit as well. Without the Duke I wouldn't be a surfer. Big Ups to Duke Kahanamoku.

When I travel around the world or live my everyday life I try to remember what the Duke wanted the people of Hawaii to do. That is to spread the aloha spirit where ever you go. Being a professional surfer from Hawaii it is very important to share Aloha when I am in different countries. I was recently in Japan and I think that japanese people really understand the meaning of Aloha. It can also mean hospitality. Maybe that's why Japanese people love Hawaii so much. Big ups to Duke Kahanamoku!!!!! Without him none of us would be surfers...

Much ALOHA


No comments:

Post a Comment